Purity of honey is something to consider before buying.
Simple tests and experiments can be performed at home and can verify the purity of honey like:
- read the label on the jar of honey
- manufacturers are required to mention the additives and additional substances that have been added to the produced honey
- if it is organic or extra sweet or artificial flavorings have been added, simply by scrutinizing the label
- when buying honey straight from a beekeeper you know the honey is of a raw and unprocessed quality as you are purchasing it straight from the source.
Conducting tests for purity of honey at home
Do a thumb test to test pure honey is:
– Put a small drop of the honey on your thumb
– see if it spills or spreads around
– if it does, it is not pure
– Pure honey will stay intact on your thumb
The Water Test to Spot Fake Honey
- fill a glass with water
- add one tablespoon of honey
- adulterated or artificial honey will dissolve in water and you will see it around the glass
- pure honey will settle right at the bottom of your glass
The Flame Test to Check Purity of Honey
Real honey is a flammable so stick a dry match in it and try to light it.
If it’s fake, it won’t spark thanks to the amount of moisture in it.
The best is to buy honey from a smaller bee farmer then you won’t have to test it.
Keep it natural and organic …